Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Slice of Life Day Eighteen: A Teacher Needs to Eat





So.  Spring break is rapidly coming to an end. 
I have all the mixed feels. 
I loved preparing my materials today and thinking about what we are going to work on for the next few days.  I only plan one week at a time...to stay on top of what the kids need. 


But I also love the pace of working when it's necessary, resting when it's not.

But let's get to to the food, shall we?

My 13 year old makes these Chicken Pot Pie Muffins.  Kind of like this.  But we use store made biscuits.  Also, he makes them completely independently now, which means I was watching basketball and folding my laundry!  It's good comfort food, and I love the portion sizes.  

 It's a ramen bowl!  The boys had showed some interest in them.  So, after a little online research, I realized that you can pretty much use any vegetables that you have.  Here's how it went down in our house:

1.  We sauteed 1 Tablespoon of garlic and ginger in some grapeseed oil.  (About 1 Tablespoon)
2.  Add 4 cups of vegetable broth, 4 ounces of sliced mushrooms, a dash of soy sauce, and 3 cups of water.  Stir that in.
3.  Bring this to a boil.  Then simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft.  
4.  Add Ramen Noodles without seasoning packs.  I used 2 packages for our batch.  Let these noodles cook for about 2-3 minutes.  
5.  Stir in spinach (I used the very careful measuring technique of grabbing a handful and dropping it in the pot.)   I also added carrots.  But this is where it could get fun and you could add all the veggies!  
6.  I garnished mine with some left over scrambled eggs.  I know.  Hard-boiled for ramen.  But I'm on spring break! 

Did you know you could put this in the freezer?  We don't usually use ginger very quickly.  Our produce manager shared this tip with me last week!  


The boys and I ate this while watching Kung Fu Panda 3, as we watched it rain Ice outside.  It was yummy and comforting and we are eating the leftovers tomorrow.  

I continue to write about food, because I think it's an important part of self-care.  (I'll say more about that on Tuesday.)   What are you eating these days?  

Joy!
Kendra

2 comments:

  1. Kids cooking FOR YOU...Fantastic!! I like planning. It makes me feel like I'm really doing something. Best wishes for a strong finish to the end of your year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious!!! I may have to give it a try. Ginger is one thing I never cook with so your tip is helpful. Honestly, I didn't realize there was a ginger paste. I noticed some tubes like this for broth as well last week when I was in the store. Always something to learn. Thanks for sharing. Off to Google Ramen bowls.

    ReplyDelete