Pages

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

My Doris-es: A Slice of Life



I'm blessed to have two.  Doris-es. 
Read here to learn more about what that means. 
After I read this post, I've decided, I'm just going to name my Tribe?  Doris. 

The friendships are years old.  Before children, if there was such a thing.  One entered my life when I was wandering with one foot out the door of my church, feeling isolated after a food allergy diagnosis for my youngest. 

We have seen: (Not an exhaustive list...)

  • marriages
  • babies
  • houses.
  • more babies
  • more houses
  • aging parents
  • jobs
  • no jobs
  • new jobs
  • growing kids
  • kids who do things that aren't in the books
  • babies
  • medical things that only a tribe would show up for 
  • hard things.  We do those.  
And here's what I know about these ladies:

At any given time they are there to speak truth and love to me.  (And the world.  But I'm so blessed, they share it with me.)  I remember sitting at my table, again with one foot out the door of the church, and a Doris holding my hand and saying, "This hurt isn't what God wants for His people.  He is Not rejoicing in this."  That statement kept me in the door honestly.  Why?  Because I felt treasured at that moment.  Not only by God, but by His People.  

And the other one?  Reminded me once that I don't say Yes to everything, because other people have gifts too.  So save your Yes's for things you are truly gifted for.  That encouragement is given to lots of people, and shared freely.  She's also a story teller, and reminds me that God's people aren't always pious and quiet.  Sometimes they wear overalls to church, dress up as Santa, swear a little, and laugh a little too loudly-if there is such a thing.  

My Doris-es also are constantly reaching out to those who might not be seen, who need their story told, who just need a friend.  These ladies love Jesus so much, they can't help but love others too.  

I'm so glad they love me too.  

Joy!
Kendra






2 comments:

  1. Oh Kendra, I loved reading this slice...so beautiful and open. What wonderful friendships!

    And thank you for the link! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful on friendship and fun to read ~ two Dorises would fit right into one of may father's favorite joke (and a bet he never lost) about counting doors in an establishment.

    ReplyDelete