Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A Slice of Life: Heart Maps

11454297503_e27946e4ff_h

Link up at www.twowritingteachers.wordpress.com.  We are so grateful for this community. 

Friends.  It will be so good to catch up with you.  It's my 12 year old that is currently inspiring me to write.  (We are at the table again!)

So, a few weeks ago, I participated in an amazing chat on Twitter.  I'm sure you've heard of #g2great.  The moderators are so gracious and encouraging.  I'm really enjoying this one.

Georgia Heard was the guest, and my "lucky" self won a copy of Heart Maps:  Helping Students Create and Craft Authentic Writing.


29995851

Well, I dug right in and made a few!  And I learned a bit about myself:


  • We are going to rearrange a few things in our house so I have a dedicated writing space.  :)
  • Writing for me is like running, I have to do it.  Things feel in balance when I do.  
  • There are more topics I want to explore and stretch myself with.  
  • I also need to keep making time for reading.  
A few shots of how I'm doing my Heart Maps:




Heart Maps really kept me writing this fall in my notebooks when I felt like I couldn't make time to process with the blog.  

What about teaching with Heart Maps?

I cannot wait!  

This year, I'm making plans to incorporate Heart Mapping with our Poetry writing.  I also couldn't help but notice the art component that goes along with Heart Mapping.  There is joy in considering the time to be creative and linger with a Heart Map.  

But I see the power in creating Heart Maps when:
  • we are writing small moments.
  • we are reflecting on books being read.
  • we are reflecting on service and ministry projects that we are working on.
  • we are free writing.
  • we are learning about what projects/nonfiction topics we want to explore further.  



Are you using Heart Maps?  What reflections do you have for me?

Joy!
Kendra


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay . . . I had to edit.

    Kendra,
    So many, many ways to use Heart Maps! Love this book from Georgia Heard. One of my top three for 2016! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get this book! I do a heart map to start our personal narrative writing... but I love the idea of more! Some of my students decided to do fiction heart maps...
    I love the visual/art component of this too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was at a workshop with Georgia this past September and saw a preview of this new book. I love that she's expanded the ideas. I've used heart maps with my students in the past and they are wonderfully inspiring, as I guess you've already discovered, Kendra. Love the pics, and hope you share more when it's with students, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you get your dedicated writing space soon and share some pics. I am curious about the "Heart Maps" book. You might find it interesting to explore "Personal Geographies" by Jill. K. Berry. Many different personal maps there. I first heard about it from Linda.

    ReplyDelete