Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Slice That Took Over.

11454297503_e27946e4ff_h

Link up at www.twowritingteachers.wordpress.com.  We are so grateful for this community. 


Dear Friends,
So, I started to write about summer reading with my boys this morning.  But then the second paragraph came out.  So I want to see where this goes, since I'll be writing freely.  I don't know if it's right.  I don't know if it will make sense.  But I think we can wait a week to discuss summer reading, yes?

There is a lot on my mind this morning.  Like many of you, I'm sitting here with my coffee, staring out the window.  Thinking.  Thinking about the people of Orlando.  Thinking about some people that I love.  It's not time for more ideological words yet in my house.  It is time for lots of hugging and reaching out.  It's just on my heart.  

I'm just a girl who is rooted in some traditional Midwestern Church Going.  You know, church basements.  Cookbooks.  Donuts in between church services.  Potlucks.  (Time with Jesus=Food?  Apparently.)  I'm not trained theologically.  I'm sure I misinterpret things.  But I write and say things anyway.  And I'm thankful for gracious people who listen and discuss with me.  

Here's all I know this morning; Jesus has only placed people in and out of my path that he is crazy about.  I know that when I lock eyes with someone, they matter to God.  Period.  

I know I'm only called to lead with love.  (Check out the book of Mark, Chapter 12 to see why I think that.)  That's all.  "Love Your Neighbor."  

But here's the thing.  People keep saying that.  And then people keep shooting each other.  I believe that the change is going to start in our neighborhoods and communities.  (If I may, also with leaders.  Does the 2nd Amendment Really mean I should be able to easily purchase an AK-47?  Maybe it does.  I'm having trouble believing that as I type these words.)

Which leads me to ask:
 What else can I do to show more love?  Open up my house more?  Start cooking food for people?  Donate blood?  Email more senators?  

Is it about doing more?  Is it about being more present with each other?  I don't have Any Answers this morning.  

Except for Love.  

Joy!  (Even when it's hard.)
Kendra







5 comments:

  1. Keep writing and saying things. I think you are saying what needs to be heard. I agree with you...if we are paying attention when we lock eyes with someone, anyone, we know God loves them just as He loves us. And knowing that, we look for the ways we can show love. And if more and more of us do that in our homes and communities, that WILL make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep writing and saying things. I think you are saying what needs to be heard. I agree with you...if we are paying attention when we lock eyes with someone, anyone, we know God loves them just as He loves us. And knowing that, we look for the ways we can show love. And if more and more of us do that in our homes and communities, that WILL make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >What else can I do to show more love? <

    I'm not in that same place as you, Kendra, in terms of the church or my beliefs. I'm a Methodist by default, but have grown increasing frustrated with what church and God and all of it truly means. I guess that's part of growing up.

    However, I'm right there with you on your question as I've thought the exactly same thing. How can I show more love? And I guess, in my own head, that comes down to what we do on a daily basis and what we model both in our professional and personal lives. As teachers, we give so much of ourselves to start with that it would be hard to give more. But, if students see what I do, how I love what I do, and love those who I work with, that's being a tremendous model for them. Personally, I struggle with how to this simply because of where we live. We are active in the community, we share our bounty with others, but could there be more? Tough question you poise for us all, but one I think each of us needs to ask, because there's certainly a need for more love in the world!

    Thank you for making me think today about more than just me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what's awesome about Faith-church-beliefs is the ebb and flow that comes with it. 2 years-ish ago I had one foot out the church door. I agree, with age comes that discernment of what we really believe. (Getting old has perks?!?!)

      As teachers, I think our job is so critical now more than ever. Kids need to see us reaching out. But I wrestle, as I've stated, with that idea of more? Am I reaching out in a different way? I don't know. I just want my community to know that we love them. We'll do what we can to take care of them. I think it's a starting place? I don't know. Thanks for sharing your thoughts today. Good stuff to chew on for awhile. :)

      Delete
  4. I, like you, have been trying to make sense of this horrific tragedy. I think we need to write about it and talk about it and do something about it so that it doesn't happen again. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete