Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

#sol14 Because Kitchens are Made for Dancing And Growing Up

SOLSC Button

Two Writing Teachers are hosting Slice of Life.  Join us!

I was thinking yesterday about what my slice was going to be as we head back to school.  I tossed around all kinds of ideas about classrooms, community, and creating.  

But then, I read this post at Momastery.  If you haven't read it, go ahead.  I'll wait.  It rocked my world, and I've been thinking about it all day.  Go ahead and click on that link.  I'll be here when you get back.  :)

Okie-dokie, now that you are back, it was this morning as I was sipping coffee and rereading this post again, that my slice hit me.  I need to tell you what I love about My Kitchen.  


Here She is.  22 years old.  The floor?  Cracked in some spots around the edges.  The cabinets?  Outdated.  The coloring?  Totally neutral.  Completely cluttered.  Sometimes---it smells funny.  (Just keeping it real Slicers!) 

But in our kitchen:


This precious face celebrated his first birthday with carrot cupcakes and party hats in our kitchen almost 10 years ago.  We brought him home from the hospital about 6 weeks before we were expecting to.  The health care and nutrition we could provide him in our kitchen was easy and accessible.  (Even if it didn't seem like it at the time!)  He would love it if I would allow him to declare the kitchen his Makerspace and he could cover it in origami.  


This precious face took his first baths in our kitchen sink late at night.  The warm water that was readily available for him was calming and soothing for everyone.  We've overcome food allergies in that kitchen.  He's my dancer, and we've two-stepped across that floor more than once as dinner was cooking.  He also grabs one of those stools and parks it next to me.  "I'm your shoe-chef Mom."  

It's a chihuahua cupcake.  Don't laugh.  :)  Okay, you can.
Fresh veggies too.  




Food we need, and food we don't--it's waiting for us in our kitchen.  

Life's conversations and tough questions?  They get wrestled with in our kitchen.  

Morning coffee and thoughts for the day?  Waiting for me in my kitchen.  

Some people I love the most?  Usually hanging out in my kitchen.  

Uproarious laughter with friends?  In my kitchen.  

Homework/schoolwork/blogging?  Usually in the kitchen.  

Funny smells and big messes?  That's totally my kitchen.  

Love and Laughter?  Always available in my kitchen.  


As my mister and I have chatted about updates for Her, I really loved the perspective over at Momastery.  She might not need a makeover yet, just some more two-stepping and chihuahua cupcakes please.  

What do you love about your kitchen?  

Joy!  Kendra
















7 comments:

  1. How gorgeous! This reminds me of that lovely picture book Kitchen Dance. These are some fabulous images you paint both with words and pictures. That cupcake? Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was looking at my kitchen differently this morning after reading Glennon's post last night. The cupcake? Completely outside my element, but really fun to make. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I'm inspired! Perfect prompt about the kitchen. I feel like I'm in yours right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The original blog post was inspiring to me. I loved considering focusing on what I do have, instead of all that needs to be fixed!

      Delete
  3. Our living area (living room, dining room and kitchen) are all open, so this whole area is our life. I can so relate with the memories of our kitchen...hiding in cabinets, dancing, Easter egg hiding, teaching the kids to cook...well, just my son. My daughter can't even make a frozen pizza! Wonderful post. It made me smile tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiding in the cabinets! Yes, I had forgotten about that part! See-so much happens in there! Thanks for reading and for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. I love this post! Heart-warming!

    ReplyDelete