Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2013

New Year, New Goals

This summer's TBR stack
For the past eleven years, when the countdown to summer begins in May, two key purchases are made -- a brand-new spiral notebook and a pile of TBR professional literature.  deep breaths...and I'm excited and nervous at the same time.  Once the year gets rolling, I will be collaborating with teachers to establish student-centered goals and supporting teachers in building their understanding of the Common Core, along with our district's new reading materials.  My "me" goals are to:
I begin the summer with learning goals in mind and, as the summer stretches on, the goals morph into plans for implementing my summer learning with a new group of students.  Last summer, my learning focused on preparing for a new position as an instructional coach.  My district adopted a two-year coaching pilot project, placing three full-time coaches in selected buildings.  The year was filled with more personal and professional learning than I could have ever imagined.  I'm proud of the work I did side-by-side with both my fellow coaches and teaching colleagues.  But the question at the forefront for me is "What can I do better next year?"  August has arrived, and my summer learning notebook is filled with ideas.  The 2013-2014 school year begins a week from today...
  • Continue to build relationships.  Relationships are central to my coaching work.  Nothing happens without them.  Period. 
  • Incorporate technology into professional development.  Within the classroom, I believe it's important to embed technology into learning experiences grounded in best practice.  Similarly, I think there are exciting possibilities to embed technology into teachers' school-based professional development while staying true to effective PD practices. Stay tuned...
  • Read more middle-grade novels.  Between having two young children at home and teaching second grade for many years, this part of my reading life hasn't been as much of a focus as I would like.  I've read some of the books with lots of blog/Twitter buzz like The One and Only Ivan and Wonder, but I would like to refocus on this area. 
Best wishes on the start of your new school year!

Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment